If you’re scouting out places to live for a relocation to the Hudson area, consider Watertown for these 5 reasons:
1. Only 10 miles separates Watertown Square from downtown Hudson. That’s an easy commute on a variety of modes of transportation, such as Interstate 90, bike path, or rowing down the Charles.
2. For the 10 mile commute you’ll save big on home median values compared to downtown values. The median home value in Watertown is $425k based on Zillow data . In the desirable South End area median home values are 637k. You’ll also get a more suburban feel in Watertown, with a make up mostly of single and two-family homes. And you’ll probably be able to find a parking space on your block.
3. If you are looking to rent, Watertown rents are significantly lower as well. There has been a boom in luxury apartment rentals in Watertown over the past several years, with over 700 units coming onto the market in 2014 and more projects have broken ground over the last couple of months. The Pleasant Street Corridor of Watertown is uniquely situated on the Charles River trail system, and is a short bike into Cambridge or Hudson, making the location ideal for professionals looking to save big on monthly rent. The most recent to break ground is the 45 Bacon St. project, Riverpark Lofts. The mixed use property will include space for a restaurant and offices and a design more likely to appear in California than Watertown. Expect 2 bed 2 bath to rent between $2,500 and $2,800, compared to $3500 and up downtown.
4. Watertown is where the police caught the Marathon Bomber in 2013. So, that’s pretty cool.
5. Mt. Auburn Cemetery. Founded in 1831, the grounds are an architectural and horticultural treasure. Nestled between artistically sculpted grave stones and tombs, are 1,500 different species of plants, making the site as much a botanical garden as a cemetery. With 170 acres of grounds, it is a destination that will never be the same twice to the visitor. The cemetery is on the eastern edge of Watertown, and borders neighboring Cambridge. It is a 10 minute bus ride from Watertown Square.
So if you are moving to Hudson, you have a very large metropolitan area to choose from, and being only 10 miles from the city center can actually enrich your experience of living in Hudson. When comparing other cities and towns around Hudson, you can see why Watertown is such a good choice, and has such a hot real estate market.